This is a powerful tool which reveals profound insights into the process of worry:
· position a real or imaginary chair in front of you
· place on the chair your biggest worry or concern
· now imagine a bigger worry (one that you don't already have!)
· what are you thinking about now?
· what have probably discovered that your previous worry, which was your biggest worry at the time, has now been displaced by your new bigger worry
· chase away your imaginary bigger worry, and place your current biggest worry back on the chair
· imagine that your current biggest worry has been resolved.
· has your next biggest worry taken its place?
· wouldn't you be worried about your next biggest worry if your current biggest worry was resolved?
· what does this tell you?
· place your biggest current worry or concern back on the chair
· leave it there and walk away smiling!
I made a video about this tendency to continually worry.